Mike Coffey is an engaging speaker, whose popularity is ever increasing due to his unique perspective on recruiting and selection issues.
Mike is an HRCI-certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) who, since leaving his career in corporate HR-delivery roles, continues to consult with clients of all sizes. In 1999, he founded Imperative Information Group where he continues to serve as president.
Imperative Information Group is also an HRCI Approved Provider, which means that certified HR professionals can earn recertification credit for programs that meet HRCI’s requirements. (The use of this seal is not an endorsement by HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met HR Certification Institute’s criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.)
In 2013, Mike is offering the following speaking topics to SHRM chapters and other groups:
Topic: Background Investigations
- What Employers Need to Know about Criminal Background Checks: This presentation covers where the information comes from and what should be included in a good background check. It also covers employers’ legal responsibilities under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and EEOC guidelines, both of which are covered more thoroughly in Background Checks Under Fire and The Fair Credit Reporting Act’s Requirements for Employers.
- Background Checks Under Fire: Employer Policy Considerations To Avoid Discrimination Claims: The EEOC, Congress, and many state legislatures are closely scrutinizing how employers use background checks, especially criminal histories and credit reports. This presentation will walk employers through the process of preparing a background screening policy that helps ensure a safe and productive workforce while staying out of regulators’ cross hairs.
- The Fair Credit Reporting Act’s Requirements for Employers: This presentation covers employers’ responsibilities under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- DOT Driver Qualifications and Background Checks: The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations list a host of requirements for employers regulated by the federal Department of Transportation. In this presentation, Mike will discuss the FMCSR’s requirements for the application and employment background check process.
- What Job Seekers Need to Know About Background Checks: This presentation is intended for job seekers. Mike has presented to a variety of groups including job seeker networking groups and former offender reentry programs. He discusses some of the myths and realities of the background screening process and suggests ways for job seekers to address potentially negative information with prospective employers.
Topic: Drug Screening
- Drug Screening Basics and Policy Considerations: This presentation covers the various kinds of drug screening tools available to employers and considerations in selecting tools and creating your Drug Free Workplace policies and procedures.
Topic: Work Eligibility (I-9s and E-Verify)
- Identity and Eligibility Confirmation – E-Verify and Other Tools: Employers are under increased surveillance by federal and state officials with regard to their processing for ensuring the work eligibility of new hires. Some HR professionals have even been criminally prosecuted under organized crime statutes for intentionally hiring undocumented workers. At the same time, identity theft is at an all time high and many employers are at risk of not knowing who they are actually hiring. This presentation will review the legal and regulatory environment, common I-9 mistakes, and various tools available to employers to attempt to verify the identity and work eligibility of prospective or new employees.
Topic: Social Media in HR
- Introduction to Social Media in Human Resources: Many innovative HR professionals are using social media tools like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to identify potential employment candidates. In this presentation, Mike gives an overview of the interesting ways social media is being used in the recruiting process and discuss some of the pitfalls that employers need to watch out for.
- Social Media Policy Considerations for Employers: Social media offers useful tools for employers to build communities and attract talent. It can also help to engage employees if used correctly. However, there are public relations, equal employment opportunity, and National Labor Relations Act issues that employers should also consider when deciding how to manage their official social media presence and respond to employees’ social media activities. Mike will walk through a number of social media issues that might arise throughout the employee life cycle and discuss ways to plan for them.
Topic: Strategic HR Management
- How to Ensure that Your HR Department is Outsourced (Strategic Credit): This tongue-in-cheek approach to the HR professional’s strategic role inside of organizations highlights the many ways outside of the HR box that they can add value to the organization.
Topic: Workplace Investigations
- Investigating Workplace Complaints: This one-hour overview of workplace investigation methodologies starts with receipt of the investigative complaint and proceeds through the investigations process and how to manage the parties to the complaint after the investigation has been completed.
Many of Mike’s presentations are available for preview online through Slideshare.
Email or call Kristi Wallace at toll free 877-473-2287 to arrange for Mike to speak to your group.